Monday, April 24, 2006

Once upon a time, when kitchens were simpler ...

Since we're still in Drywall Dullsville, here's a little trip back into history.

My neighbor sent me this photo when she was starting her own renovation. It's her house in the foreground (it now sports a very snazzy addition); mine's in the background.

She bought her house from the original owner's son, who passed on this photograph during closing. Both of our houses were built in the 1930s and by the look of the car in her driveway, I'm guessing this was taken in the 1940s.

At this moment, I'm typing this in what used to be thin air, atop the screened-in porch on the right of my house. The awful '80s renovators responsible for the atrocity of the kitchen did us a favor by enclosing the porch and adding a second-story bedroom; these additions give us some modicum of space in what's essentially a very small house, but the construction and architecture were both compromised in the process. They're here to stay, though, so enough about them.

There's probably not a whole lot of interesting history to this house, much as I wish there were. For years I've been meaning to visit the local history room of our public library for more information and one of these days I'll get there, really. In the meantime, here are a few little bits of information I've gleaned from various sources.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?