Friday, May 26, 2006

Bivouac report

This is our last night at the corporate apartment. Supposedly we can move back into the house tomorrow. Note I said "supposedly."

The weather has become humid over the last couple of days, preventing the stain from drying as it should. The first and second coats of polyurethane went on today, but the third is the problem. It ought to go on tomorrow, but tomorrow is a Saturday of a holiday weekend. Considering I caught the floor guy napping in his truck in my driveway yesterday, I somehow think conscientiousness isn't his strong suit. Wayne the carpenter expressed doubt that the floor place would find someone willing to work tomorrow.

This means that while we can (probably, floor-dryness permitting) move back in tomorrow, we can't start putting anything back on the floors. Because thanks to this lovely three-day weekend, if the floor guy can't get someone out on Saturday, we have to wait until Tuesday for that final coat. Tuesday.

Basically, we'll be able to sleep there, but that's it. No using the tauntingly completed kitchen. No extraneous stepping on the floor (so I'm not sure what we'll do about the cat, who is currently holed up in the basement den). We'll be confined to the upstairs, which is horribly cluttered with everything we've had to stash there during this whole process.

It will be hard to leave this Utopia of pristine white duvets, maid service, 2-1 people-bathroom ratio, and free tennis lessons for our messy, dusty, un-user-friendly house. At the same time, it will be good to be back in our own place, unfinished a symphony as it is.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?